Please only proceed with your doctor’s permission and/or supervision.
Baked Milk Recipe
Mt. Sinai’s instructions for a baked milk oral food challenge in the clinic:
Yield: 6 muffins
¼ cup plus 1 tsp non-fat dry milk powder (NFDM) (OR your own recipe that contains 1/6th cup of milk per muffin)
1 cup of flour
¼ tsp of cinnamon (optional)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs or equivalent egg replacer (we use 1 ½ tsp Ener-G egg replacer plus 3 ½ Tbsp of water, 1 tsp baking powder plus 1 ½ tbsp corn oil) Use a whisk to mix all ingredients thoroughly.
½ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup applesauce
¼ cup water
¼ cup corn oil
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 6 holes of a full-sized muffin tin.
- Mix together wet ingredients: water, applesauce, vanilla, oil and eggs or egg replacers.
- Dissolve NFDM in wet mixture.
- In another bowl, use a whisk to combine all dry ingredients thoroughly
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
- Pour batter into lined muffin tin until 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then lift cups or turn out of pan onto wire rack and to continue cooling.
Baked Milk Stages
Stage 1: extensively heated milk in a wheat matrix (i.e. full sized muffin, fully cooked/dry brownies; breads)
Stage 2: pizza
Stage 3: bread pudding, lasagna
Baked Egg recipe–‘Low Dose’
PLEASE NOTE: a ‘true’ baked egg recipe is 2 eggs per batch of 6 cupcakes (see following recipe). But this low-dose recipe can be helpful for children who have failed a baked egg challenge build up to a regular baked egg dose.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ¼ cups milk or milk substitute
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix dry ingredients. Stir the honey into the melted butter, then add all wet ingredients to dry and mix until smooth. Add a generous amount of cinnamon (perhaps ½ tablespoon?). Scoop into muffin tin, or individual silicone muffin cups on baking sheet. Fill each cup about ¾ full.
Bake 35 minutes (you can bake for less time as your child begins to tolerate baked egg).
Mt. Sinai’s instructions for a baked egg oral food challenge in the clinic:
Baked-Egg Muffin Recipe
Yield : 6 muffins
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup of rice milk (may use cow or soy milk IF your child is not allergic to milk or soy)
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup corn oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together (flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, sugar).
- In a separate bowl, use a whisk to mix all liquid ingredients thoroughly (rice milk, eggs, vanilla, applesauce, corn oil).
- Gradually add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing until well combined. Some small lumps may remain. Do not over stir.
- Spoon batter into 6 prepared muffin tins.
Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you may need to fill the muffin liners all the way to the top. If you make more than 6 muffins, please note how many muffins you made and bring at least two muffins with you on the day of the challenge.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.